what a way to go

207 BC: chrysippus, a Greek, died of laughter after watching his drunk donkey attempt to eat figs.

415 ad: hypatia of alexandria, Greek mathematician and philosopher, was murdered by a mob by having her skin ripped off with sharp sea-shells; what remained of her was burned.

892: sigurd the mighty strapped the head of a defeated foe to his leg, the tooth of which grazed against him as he rode his horse, causing the infection which killed him.

1410: martin of aragon died from a lethal combination of indigestion and uncontrollable laughing.

1514: gyorgy dozsa, peasants’ revolt leader in Hungary, was condemned to sit on a red-hot iron throne with a red-hot iron crown on his head and a red-hot sceptre in his hand (mocking at his ambition to be king). While Dózsa was still alive, his partially roasted body was eaten by six of his fellow rebels, who had been starved for a week beforehand.

1671 francios vatel, chef to louis xiv, committed suicide because his seafood order was late and he could not stand the shame of a postponed meal. His body was discovered by an aide, sent to tell him of the arrival of the fish.

1814: the london beer flood, 9 people were killed when 323,000 imperial gallons (1 468 000 L) of beer in the Meux and Company Brewery burst out of their vats and gushed into the streets.

1916: grigori rasputin,  was poisoned while dining with a political enemy, shot in the head, shot three more times, bludgeoned, and then thrown into a frozen river. When his body washed ashore, an autopsy showed the cause of death to be hypothermia. However, there is now some doubt about the credibility of this account. Another account said that he was poisoned, shot, and stabbed, at which time he got up and ran off – and was later found to have drowned in a frozen river.

1919: In the boston molasses disaster, 21 people were killed and 150 were injured when a tank containing as much as 2,300,000 US gal (8 700 000 L) of molasses exploded, sending a wave traveling at approximately 35 mph (56 km/h) through boston. Most fatalities and injuries were caused by the concussive force of the blast or by asphyxiation as victims failed to swim free of the viscous molasses and drowned.

1930: William Kogut, an inmate on death row at san quentin, decided to commit suicide using only tools available to him in his prison cell. He began by tearing up several packs of playing cards, giving particular focus to obtaining pieces with red ink, (at the time, the ink in red playing cards contained nitrocellulose, which is flammable and when wet can create an explosive mixture) and stuffed them into a pipe. He then plugged one end of the pipe firmly with a broom handle and poured water into the other end to soak the card pieces. He then placed the pipe on a kerosene heater next to his bed and placed the open end firmly against his head. The heater turned the water into steam and eventually enough pressure built up inside the pipe so that when it burst, the explosion shot out bits of playing cards with enough force to penetrate Kogut’s skull, killing him. In a suicide note, Kogut stated that he and he alone should punish himself for his crimes.

1981: Jeff Dailey, a 19-year-old gamer, became the first known person to die while playing video games. After achieving a score of 16,660 in the game berzerk, he succumbed to a massive heart attack.

1983: Four divers and a tender were killed on the byfor dolphin semi-submersible, when a decompression chamber explosively decompressed from 9 atm to 1 atm in a fraction of a second. The diver nearest the chamber opening literally exploded just before his remains were ejected through a 24in (60 cm) opening.  The other divers’ remains showed signs of boiled blood, unusually strong rigor mortis, large amounts of gas in the blood vessels, and scattered hemorrhages in the soft tissues.

1998: Every player on the visiting soccer team at a game in the democratic republic of the congo was struck by a fork bolt of lightning, killing them all instantly.

2002: brittannie cecil,  13-year-old hockey fan, died two days after being struck in the head by a hockey puckat a game between the columbus blujackes and the calgary flames at nationwide arena in columbus.

2009: Sergey Tuganov, a 28-year-old Russian, bet two women that he could continuously have sex with them both for twelve hours. Several minutes after winning the $4,300 bet, he suffered a heart attackand died. It is believed that the heart attack was the result of Tuganov ingesting an entire bottle of viagra just after he accepted the bet.

About this entry